Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Follow your Dream...it's not about the money

A couple of years ago, I wrote a blog about following your dreams and how I personally have followed my dream. I shared a video on my Facebook fan page recently that hit home and wanted to share it again.

After graduating from high school, I went to University, with no idea what I wanted to be when I grow up. I earned my Bachelor of Arts with a major in Criminology and went on to become a Probation Officer (I still shock people with this). I made the best of my job and worked really hard at it and I was even working my way towards management (YIKES!!!). The longer I stayed, I noticed something happen with my spirit...it was miserable, it was screaming to GET OUT!!! One day, I listened, and got out (literally, walked out of my office), and there is not a day that goes by that I don't look back.

My dream growing up was to help people, contribute to making this world a better place to put a smile on someone's face. It wasn't until my 30's that I realized that I could make my own job that would help people, contribute to making this world a better place... and put a SMILE on someone's face!!! I started my photography business and it is a bonus that I am able to contribute financially to my family. A lot of people know I have a HUGE passion for photography, but I also have a passion for business. It seems each year, the more I learn about running a business, the more excited I get. I will go on more about this in a future blog.

I started working in our family grocery store when I was about 8 years old. I loved interacting with customers, developing a strong work ethic and witnessing how to manage a business (and in some cases how not to run a business). When my dad and uncle sold our business, I was crushed. It was a huge part of my upbringing and who I have become today.

Leaving my secure government job with an amazing pension, was one of the scariest leaps I have ever made. My family supported me and never doubted that I would make this work because they all saw what was happening to me. Since then, I have regained my spirit (who is SOARING), and I wake up each and every day loving what I do. When you look at my images, you will see composition, correct exposure, and visually appealing posing.  But you will also see something more.  I have made a connection with my client at some point in their session and there is an image that shows this.  Wow! That is the coolest feeling to be able to give that back to my client for them to share.

This video has reminded me how lucky I am that I am doing a job I love. I want to teach my daughter to also go after what she loves, and not feel compelled to look only to the financial gain of a particular job. I heard a statistic that only about 10 percent of the working population like their jobs. I attempted to confirm this statistic and the first seven articles I googled were on percentage of people who "hate their jobs" (which is upwards of 87 percent...if you believe in statistics).

I know that many of you do not have the opportunity at this very moment to walk away from your job and that many of you cringe at wanting to start your own business. If you are unhappy doing what you are doing, or only doing it for the money (and still unhappy). Watch this video a couple of times. Find a way that you can incorporate your passion into your life (even something you can do on the side of that crappy job). If you have always wanted to learn how to rock climb, play an instrument, two step or travel...do it, you deserve it!!!

 The scariest step is making the first step and as you move forward your momentum will have you running in no time.
 

I love sharing the images I create with my FABULOUS clients.  I hope to continue sharing other topics with all of you as well.  If you have any ideas on something you would like me to share, please drop me a line.

Thank you for listening, have a fabulous day!!!
Bobbi

No comments:

Post a Comment