Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Day 10 – Last Day in Northern Bali

It is hard to believe that in a few days we will be leaving Bali.  Tomorrow morning, we will be making our way to the southern part of the Island to Kuta.  A few days ago, we had a bit of a taste of what the south will be like after our day trip to Ubud.  Ubud was a fun adventure, but very different to our experience in the North.  I understand that since the movie “Eat, Pray, Love” was made, Ubud has exploded into a village that attracts tourists from all over the world.  If you are venturing into Ubud and other southern villages and cities, expect to pay a little more in your shopping adventures.  Fortunately for us, shopping in some of the northern villages, we had a baseline to work with and worked a little harder to get some fabulous deals. 

Yesterday, Tracey and I went for another scuba dive, while our travel buddies, Carol, Kathy, Lena, Paulo and Piero snorkeled.  I found a scuba diving resort located about an hour west of here in Gerokgak.  Reef Seen www.reefseenbali.com , is a small diving resort that is committed to the protection of the marine environment.  I met Amanda and Adrian who are originally from Southern England, who came to Bali and met the owner of the resort, Chris, during their travels.  Soon after, they decided to leave their high paced life in England to live their dream of being dive instructors in Bali.  I really enjoyed my chat with Adrian and meeting someone else who is living their dream.  I highly recommend this resort if you are planning on coming to Bali to scuba dive or snorkel.  I hope to come back here again and spend part of my holiday at Reef Seen and take in some more dives.

Today, we are spending our final day relaxing at the Villa.  I cannot remember the last time I felt at peace and so relaxed.  I continue to meet so many wonderful people and I have learned so much from the people of Bali through my observations and images I have taken.  There is something very simple here.  No drama, no feelings of resentment and a sense of inner peace of those I have met in my travels.  Being around all of this is so refreshing and I am bottling it all up to bring it back with me.  I have noticed changes in myself during this time and feeling a sense of peace within.  One common theme I see is compassion for self and others.  There is an understanding here and the people get it.  They have the secret to happiness.  It is not about how big their house is, how nice their car or scooter is, or what clothes they wear.  It is about faith, family and being the best you can be. Here are some images I have captured of some fabulous folks I have met along the way so far.

We came across this fabulous smile along our walk on a beach close to our villa.
These two were entertaining folks outside of an entertainment centre in Lovina
We were invited to watch a group of young dancers and singers one evening in Lovina


We did a four hour trek through the jungles of Bali along Lake Bukur.  We walked through a few temples and I had the pleasure of meeting Myann.  He and I had fun joking back and forth with each other and I managed to capture this one image of him laughing at one of my really funny comments (maybe he was being polite).
While driving along one of the rice fields, we came across some folks working the fields.  

I have a new appreciation for rice after seeing the work it takes to get it to this stage.  These young boys where hamming it up for the camera.
Meet Putu.  Putu is our FABULOUS driver who has taken us to many incredible places in Bali.  During one of our Temple visits, he sat patiently waiting for us and posed for this image.  Thank you Putu, you are fantastic and we will miss you.
Thank you to Tracey Harper for taking this image of me while I was taking a moment on the steps of one of the temples we hiked into.

It has been an honour being here and I will be forever grateful to all the people I have met along the way and my fabulous travel companions, Kathy, Carol, Lena, Piero, Paulo and Tracey.  We have had a lot of laughs and great times together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment